Some companies have the same or similar data sources in multiple locations. This can, for example, be a Point of sales system with databases at each store.
A common use case would be to compare product prices between a master database and each store.
With Data Provider Groups you can create a single test that monitors pricing errors at each store.
How to create a test using Data Provider Groups
- Create a new Data Provider Group by right-clicking Data Providers and selecting New Data Provider Group
- Select database type and add your stores to Selected Data Providers.
- Create a new Compare Query
- Query your master database in the left query
- Select your Data Provider Group and query your store databases in the right query
- Map key and value columns
- Add to schedule
Now you can preview your test
Executing Queries with Data Provider Groups
There are two main differences between executing a query using a normal Data Provider and a query using Data Provider Groups:
- A Data Provider Group will not be marked as successful unless all its Data Providers succeed.
- A Query against a Data Provider Group will finish processing all successful data providers even if one or more fail (that is, processing exceptions and email)
Note: Data Provider Groups can contain other Data Provider Groups, which allows users to create Data Provider hierarchies.